The History of Mapleton Hall
by Lyle Pearsons
- Lyceum and Farmerís meetings are held in the brick schoolhouse
located at the foot of the hill on Crooked Lane.
- Committee organized to create a larger meeting and gathering place.
- Money raised from local community to construct new building in 1882.
- Building completed in January 1883 and named Central Hall.
- Crooked Lane renamed Mapleton Avenue.
- Central Hall renamed Mapleton Hall.
- Farmer meetings continue to 1885 when Grange is organized to take their place.
- Construction begins to expand Mapleton Hall and additions to North
and South halls meet the Hallís needs for increased meetings, card
parties and "entertainments."
- May Breakfasts begin and become an annual fund-raising affair, which
draws hundreds of people who come by trolley from Springfield and
- Hall falls into disrepair and dwindling Grange membership forces
them to turn the building over to the Mapleton Hall Association.
- Under President Merwyn Spaulding, the Hall is furbished with floors
refinished, plumbing and electrical work completed, interior and
- Annual "Give Your Heart to Mapleton Hall" cocktail parties
become one of the elite events for the Whoís Who of Suffield.
- The Suffield Players move from Suffield High School to Mapleton Hall
to become the main renter.
- 300-pound locomotive bell installed in the bell tower (which
can still be rung if you can find someone who knows where the rope is).
- 40-foot shipís mast added for use as flagpole.
- Players continue to convert the building to be more
"theatrically friendly." A new boiler, electrical system
with emergency lights, and bathroom facilities are installed.
Volunteers added fireproof sheetrock and waterproofing to basement,
repaired porches, and painted inside and out.
- New furnace and new roof installed.
- Flagpole broken [by a storm] and removed.
- Mapleton Hall Association transferred ownership of Mapleton Hall
to The Suffield Players.
- New windows installed throughout the main floor.
- New porch stairways and railings installed.
- Kitchen remodeled.
- New windows installed on lower floor and the attic.
- Main floor tin ceilings refurbished and painted.
- New audience platforms built.
- Interior walls restored with period-appropriate paint.
- New Mapleton Hall/Suffield Players sign installed over entrance.
- Heating converted from oil to natural gas.